P

Wednesday, March 17th, 2021 10:10 AM

Widget to Embed any Web Page in Collibra Dashboard

Please enter here remarks, questions or feedback regarding the Marketplace listing Widget to Embed any Web Page in Collibra Dashboard

1.2K Messages

3 years ago

Hey quick question, how does the embed any web page widget differ from the Collibra insights widget that comes out of the box and allows us to reference links?

Both seem to just use an IFrame unless I’m missing something?

We have both in production but we are considering removing the embed any web page widget if the Collibra insights widget achieves the same thing and is covered by support.

Cheers!

Alvin Useree

148 Messages

• 

60 Points

3 years ago

Hi Alvin, the difference is visible if you log in with a non-admin account, and are editing or creating a dashboard:

The Insights widget will then only allow you to choose from pre-set reports/URLs. It will not allow you to add your own.

The available reports can be configured in Console (https://productresources.collibra.com/docs/reporting/1.4/#Reporting/ta_configure-reports-from-settings.htm):

The ‘Widget to Embed any Web Page in Collibra Dashboard’ available on Marketplace should not appear for non-admins at all. Could you please double-check the latter and let me know? I currently don’t have easy access to in instance with the widget installed.

*Updated: thanks to @dmytro.protsyk for the additional info

6 Messages

2 years ago

I’m on a Cloud instance. Once I download the widget (zip) file, do I install using the import functionality (drag & drop)?

157 Messages

2 years ago

Looking at the documentation, I’m not sure about compatibility but I’ll let someone more informed answer that one.

In terms of the steps to install, I’ve laid them out below :slight_smile:

1. Take a customisations backup of your instance which consists of:
  • Navigating to your console
  • Go to backups
  • Create backup with only customisations checked
  • Download backup
  1. Extract the backup somewhere locally
  2. You should see a dgc folder and a metadata.json file, open the dgc folder and create the folder “modules” within it
  3. Within the modules folder, add the content in the widget (zip) file (the Iframe folder)
  4. Navigate back up to the root (i.e. where you see the dgc folder and metadata.json file)
  5. Rezip the directory, upload back to the console and press the restore button

Hopefully that helps!

6 Messages

Hi Alvin thank you for this reply very usefull !

But when I try to unzip my file from Backups, I have a Wrong message who tell me that the format is not recognized by my computer. I tried to open it in different laptop but still the same.

157 Messages

Hi Amel, interesting - feel free to share a screenshot of what you’re seeing and I’d be happy to help :slight_smile:

70 Messages

2 years ago

We are able to embed the “Yammer”, only if we uncheck “Run in sandbox (highly recommended for security)”

Will such action give rise to vulnerability to the instance?

Could someone please confirm any repercussion which may arise due to this?

2 Messages

Hi Ravi - just wondering if you established the implications of this. I too have an example and trying to understand what this means - documentation appears pretty light
Many Thanks

70 Messages

Hi Ross.
The documentation is pretty much confusing regarding the “Run in Sandbox”, However, as advised by support, we can go ahead and use it. There are no repercussion or vulnerability involved with it.
It’s basically used if we are using Javascript embedded in our iFrame, but while checking the “Run in Sandbox”, it hardly works.

6 Messages

We also have this issue when embedding webpages as dashboards

157 Messages

2 years ago

Hi both,

This widget enables embedding of a webpage through the use of something called an IFrame.

You can use an IFrame tag and set a Sandbox attribute to it. If I were to guess, Sandbox mode likely refers to said attribute.

I’ve attached some documentation that references what the sandbox attribute does below:
https://www.w3schools.com/tags/att_iframe_sandbox.asp

29 Messages

11 months ago

hi
i have tried to embed a n html page using the wizard. But the html page is hidden inside the widget with horizontal scroll bars. I couldnt find any option to specify the length and width for the widget. please find the screenshot. Can you please advise how to set the dimensions for the widget to adjust to the inner html page?

148 Messages

• 

60 Points

11 months ago

Hi @anie.issac, I am not sure which widget you are using (reporting or text), but this should work for both I believe:

Find the (very very subtle) bottom grey line of the widget, and hover over it. On your screenshot, it is right above the. In the middle there should appear a double-arrow that you can use to resize the height.

29 Messages

11 months ago

thanks Ann… I never noticed that resize option :slight_smile:

148 Messages

• 

60 Points

Your’re welcome. @anie.issac I forgot to mention, if you use that resize option, you can not ‘undo’ this. You can never teach the widget to go for ‘auto-height’ again. In case of text widgets, you then quickly need to clone it to get ‘auto-height’ again. (new widget, paste content in)

8 Messages

4 months ago

Hi, I get the message “You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.” on the embedded widget if I try embedding an internal website in the DIC in cloud, when "Run in Sandbox"checkbox is enabled).

When the “Run in sandbox” checkbox is disabled, I get the below error message:

Error

Something went wrong. Please try again later.

Please advise.

157 Messages

To avoid going around in circles, your best approach is to start by trying to find out whether the issue lies with the widget or with the webpage you’re trying to embed.

You can find this out quite easily by trying the same webpage using the Insights Widget. If it works, then you’ll need to decide whether using the Insights widget is good enough for your use case or whether you really need to use this embed a webpage widget. If the latter, maybe someone else here can help you with the issue.

I’d also try embed a random Collibra page as a quick test to see if the widget still works in the current version.

If the random page works, then there’s probably an issue with the webpage you’re trying to embed. Some webpages provide an embeddable link which is the only way to embed the page via an Iframe - I guess see if you can find one of these.

148 Messages

• 

60 Points

4 months ago

Test the widget as installed

To test if the widget works, I tested on 2023.11 internally with ‘run in sandbox’ off for these 2 scenarios. For me both worked.

Test the page you want to embed

To test if the page is ‘embeddable’ at all you can use the following code:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<body>

<h1>Iframe test page</h1>

<iframe src="https://yoururl.com" title="iframe embed test">
</iframe>

</body>
</html>
  1. Use any text editor and paste the code.
  2. Replace the yoururl.com with the page you want to test.
  3. Save the file with a .html extension (eg. iframetest001.html)
  4. Open the file in your preferred browser

If both tests are successful, as @alvin.useree advises, please try the Insights widget next.
Personally I have never encountered that error message. If the site you want to embed does not allow for it, you would get ‘this page is blocked’, or ‘unable to connect’.

It’s a really great episode well worth listening to. You can find The data-preneur’s guide to achieving impact on Youtube in case you can not embed it. :wink:

35 Messages

• 

300 Points

“test the page you want to embed”

I tested YouTube video link and our internal Viva Engage (Yammer) link. In both cases “connection declined”. What should I do next?

148 Messages

• 

60 Points

Hi @nuriia.rose.daiichi-sankyo.eu From this, it seems that loading content in iframes is prevented in general on your devices. I would assume this is a setting or enforcement at browser level.

You would best enquire with your IT department.

35 Messages

• 

300 Points

@ann.wuyts I checked youtube for “iframe embed” videos. Here are some helpful videos:

www.youtube.com refused to connect HTML - This video is not available HTML

Embed Yammer Feed On SharePoint Website (youtube.com)

My question is, where I can check inside Collibra security settings, what are the iframe settings?

Here is some old piece of Collibra documentation on security settings and iframe, but it is outdated:
Services configuration (collibra.com)

Should I create a Collibra support ticket to set Prevent advanced html features in text dashboard to false?

2 months ago

Hi, we are also using the embed webpage widget for our own Landing Page including quick links to certain Collibra views and to a sharepoint side.
It is working when we deactivate the sandbox feature, but of course we would like to keep it activated due to security reasons.
Does anyone know how to make the links still work with the activated sandbox feature although they are already opening in a new tab?
example:
https://yourinstance.collibra.com/catalog/reports?view=01be9e08-31b6-4748-8ae5-39090096cbdb"target="_blank">