P

Friday, March 19th, 2021 2:10 PM

Workflow Manager for Eclipse

Please enter here remarks, questions or feedback regarding the Marketplace listing Workflow Manager for Eclipse https://marketplace.collibra.com/listings/workflow-manager-for-eclipse/

1.2K Messages

3 years ago

It’s very cool to have packaged this functionality as an eclipse plugin, but I wanted more functionalities and I ended up writing a python script that I call through the eclipse external tools, which basically provide the same level of integration, but more advanced upload capabilities.

1. I store the .bpmn and .groovy files separately: no copy paste, the script merges the .groovy files automatically
  2. I have a block of code that is present in the editor, but removed when deployed: I instantiate the beans and APIs (assetApi, etc) so that I can get the autocomplete while coding
  3. I have groovy support functions that I can reuse without copy/pasting. There’s a simple syntax to import reusable functions such as “upsertAttributes”.
  4. The script automatically archives all versions of deployed workflows so that I can come back to any deployed version at any time.
  5. When testing bits of code, I use a test workflow with a single script task. The script can automatically trigger it, read from the console and return the result back into the eclipse console. This way I can quickly iterate, execute the code, fix and rerun.

This makes it a joy to work with workflow, in addition to my tips to remove stack traces from the console logs, which facilitate debugging.

Happy to have a call if you’re interested! It would be awesome to see those functionalities into the workflow manager!

12 Messages

Hi Arthur,

Thank you for the feedback. It’s interesting how you’ve written your on development framework to manage the groovy scripts. The workflow manager’s main purpose is to simplify moving files from the Eclipse IDE to the cloud. Your feedback is great for Collibra’s new cloud based workflow design tool that is under development.

–Scott

1.2K Messages

Sure! For me, the real time saver was to avoid any manual intensive operation for workflow deployment.
No copy/paste
Autocomplete
Autodeployment
Archival
No useless stack trace in the console

I’ve been asked to post a message here - but I’m already interacting with support team through various channels.

I’m unable to use the workflow manager plugin through a proxy.

I’ve done various tests on two versions:

V0.1.20 not connecting at all.
V0.1.19 is connecting to the server with same credentials as v1.20 but is incompatible with my collibra environment. I am running 2021.02 version of collibra - although some of our servers were rolled back to 2021.01. makes no difference which 2021 version I try to connect to.

I have set up a few tests and I am confident that v1.20 would work without a proxy, but all the tricks I’ve tried from google have come to nothing. We have IP whitelisting on our collibra cloud servers so connecting via a direct connection would not be an option.

1.2K Messages

Have you looked into cntlm?
Usually the problem with enterprise proxy is that they use ntlm authentication, which is a problem for many solutions (like the workflow manager). http://cntlm.sourceforge.net/

Basically you use cntlm to deploy a local proxy to interact with your enterprise proxy. This way you can transparently connect through your enterprise proxy without any constraint.

I did look at creating a local proxy, but it was beginning to look like a lot of work. In this particular case, the proxy we use is a simple http:// forward proxy. It is not authenticating us but we cannot get out to the internet unless we go via the proxy.

In the long term I’d be very interested in the solution you have implemented but I need to weigh this up against the fact that collibra seem to be moving to an online editing option in a future release, so would I just be better to wait for that.

Incidentally I just noticed I replied to the wrong person - meant to reply to the post from @paulo.taylor.

Graeme

38 Messages

3 years ago

Hi @arthur.burkhardt,
When would you be free for a quick call somewhere this week?

1.2K Messages

3 years ago

Paulo, since work is underway on this, my strong recommendation would be a no-code setup. Not every data governance team has enough technical resources for tailoring / developing workflows. That is also true for most of the business organizations who we would like to take a larger hand in defining and deploying their own workflows. Think outside the current box, and make it simpler for data citizens.

262 Messages

true…API development & workflow development make the implementation an IT oriented one…

2 Messages

2 years ago

Hi, do you have any tips for setting up the connection using SSO?
In Workflow Connections, it is mandatory to fill in username and password.
Thanks for any help;

We have SSO in our organisation - so regular users are logging in via SSO. However, we have defined one native account on collibra that uses a traditional username/password. This user is used for REST calls and for loading workflows from eclipse. It is an admin account, so it is important to choose a secure password, refresh it regularly and restrict access to people you trust.